Quarter 1 Objectives
- Recognize and write complete sentences
- Identify types of sentences declarative, interrogative, exclamatory, and imperative.
- Review capitalization rules
- Review punctuation for all types of sentences
- Learn how to make and identify proofreader marks: capitalization/ inserting punctuation
- Learn to correct run-on sentences and how to write compound sentences.
- Learn to identify complete subject/predicate
- Learn about the Comma rules and practice usage ( after yes or no, after the name of the person spoken to, after a conjunction).
- Learn to correct choppy sentences
- Begin paragraph development: writing kinds of original sentences using a given topic.
- Being reading groups three times a week.
- Learn why bodies of work were written(Author’s purpose)
- Learn how to complete a character analysis/ web
- Learn to identify and describe the setting in a story.
- Learn to read with expression, accuracy, fluency, and volume.
Spelling, Vocabulary, & Poetry
- Identify and spell using special sounds from charts 6-11
- Learn Compound words and plural words
- Learning to change y to i and adding es
- Learning the plural of words ending in f and fe
- Learn most English words do not end in i or v and the expectations to these rules
- Learn to say poems with good expression, proper enunciation, and good posture.
- Learn the poet’s purpose or intent for the poem
- Identify parts of a poem ( stanzas, rhythm, rhyme).
- Learn poems: Knoxville, Tennessee by Nikki Giovanni, Keep a Poem in Your Pocket, The Duel, and My Shadow
- Word Roots for Beginners (Lessons 1-9)
- Roots and Suffixes: mirco, scope, tele, acro, astro, bat, geo, graphy, meter, naut, thermo, able, ful, ible, id, ism, ist, ive, ly, ness, or, ure, loc, al, ate, ation,
- Roots and Prefixes: cycle, uni, bi, tri, act, counter, inter, re, trans, rupt, ab, dis, e, inter, pose, com, dis, ex, im, op, pro
Practice your spelling words using the following link: https://www.spellingcity.com/users/BOLPA3rd Select the correct spelling list and choose a free game!
Practice your Word Roots using the following link: https://quizlet.com/join/E77xstXww